Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Turkeys and Twits

The other day I went to the deli at the local grocery store and noticed something abominable. And it wasn’t pork.

Like most delis, this place had a glass display case with all the good stuff behind it. They patronize a certain maker of meats and had a sticker on the glass for that company. (No, not there yet.)

As I glanced at the sticker, I noticed something I had not seen before, though I’m sure it was there. Beside the sticker for the company….those horrible symbols that seem to be more and more ubiquitous these days.

The blue Facebook F. The blue Twitter T.

I half expect to see someone’s face break out in those symbols one of these days.

The omnipresence of these symbols leads me to ask certain questions.

First: What exactly does a maker of deli meats have to “twitter” about anyway?

Out of morbid curiosity I decided to check, and here’s what I found “tweeted” over the past 48 hours:

1) Links to their main websites’ recipe of the day.
2) A link to their Facebook careers page.
3) Several messages of thanks to subscribers, including to one who had “tweeted” earlier, “I used your ad to show how mainstream the gluten free movement has become.”

Wow. A veritable feast for the senses.

This leads to my second question. Whose life is so devoid of content and meaning that they would subscribe to Twitter to get the latest “tweets” from a deli meat company? Are people out there that bored? Is there any chance they might find something more meaningful to do than read this crap?

Can you imagine how many other meaningless tweets they get all day?

Are they driving or operating heavy machinery when they read this stuff?

Yes, I really don’t understand this whole interconnectedness craze. As a hardcore introvert with an active mind, I don’t think I ever will.

Just one last question, in close.

Given the fascination for crap like this, is it any wonder we can’t get people to listen to or read sustained arguments in apologetics?

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine was at work when that Qantas A380 flight from London experienced its engine explosion and subsequent system failures. His wife and daughter were on the flight. The internet (ie - Twitter and Facebook) was awash with reports that the aircraft had crashed. The incorrect news had gone viral within minutes and my friend was beside himself trying to get some genuine information. Data on the net is 99% junk, and will tend towards 100% junk over time. This instance shows in a nutshell how dangerous it can be.

    ReplyDelete