Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Thanks, Doprah!

Personal note today on the continuing dematerialization of thoughtful engagement in our culture:

My beloved Mrs H and I are awarding a special recognition to Oprah Winfrey for turning the at least moderately educational Discovery Health Channel into a narcissist sounding board for her own fantasies and delusions. Once again, serious television (well, at least mostly serious) has been displaced with pablum for the benighted masses, leaving those of us who prefer a little thoughtfulness in our entertainment to get it mainly by drawing our own comics or writing our own stories. You didn’t think I did that just for fun, did you? (The good news is that most of the shows we liked on Discovery Health – like Dr. G, Medical Examiner – are still available on a less known network called fitTV.)

In light of Doprah’s decision to turn a semi-educational network into a roving emotional narcotic, I’ve designed a logo for it. Here it is:




1 comment:

  1. I don't want my OWN show. It'd be cancelled after two episodes.

    ReplyDelete